September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day.
Join the Niagara Suicide Prevention Coalition (NSPC) to recognize World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD), which is recognized globally each year on September 10th. Help raise awareness about WSPD and to engage in the conversation about suicide by participating in the events listed below. According to statistics from Niagara Region Public Health (2019), in Niagara someone dies by suicide every 9 days. Suicide prevention is everyone’s responsibility.
Participate in the conversation for World Suicide Prevention Day by participating in the: 16th Annual Distress Centre Niagara Suicide Prevention Walk on September 10th, 2021 at 6:30pm at Market Square in St. Catharines. Be sure stop by the Canadian Mental Health Association information booth!
Check out their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/s/16th-annual-suicideawareness-/189616186485960/ or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Join the NSPC lunch and learn webinar on September 15th , 2021 from 12-1 p.m. to continue the conversation about suicide prevention in Niagara.
For more information or to register, please visit https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/world-suicide-preventionday-webinar-tickets-165962533405
Learn about current statistics in the Niagara Region by watching and sharing the Niagara Suicide Prevention Coalition Community Awareness Video and Suicide and Self-Harm Infographic (below)
Encourage others to seek help by connecting with Niagara’s 24-hour local crisis lines by contacting:
- 9-1-1 for immediate risk
- COAST Niagara (Crisis Outreach and Support Team) for adults in crisis: 1-866-550-5205 ext. 1
- Pathstone Mental Health for children and youth in crisis at 1-800-263-4944
- Distress Centre Niagara: St. Catharines, Niagara Falls and Area 905-688- 3711
- Distress Centre Niagara: Port Colborne, Wainfleet and Area 905-734-1212
- Distress Centre Niagara: Fort Erie and Area 905-382-0689
- Distress Centre Niagara: Grimsby, West Lincoln 905-563-6674 ONTX Chat Services for text support -Text “SUPPORT” to 258258 between 2p.m and 2a.m daily
Learn more about helping someone who may be considering suicide at: https://ontario.cmha.ca/news/how-to-help-someone-thinking-about-suicide/