Although anxiety, depression, and loneliness may occur anytime during the year, the stress of the holidays can amplify these feelings. For those coping with mental health and addictions concerns, the holidays can be a daunting, overwhelming challenge every year, and the added weight of the pandemic may create additional stress and anxiety.
That’s why CMHA Niagara offers support and information to people affected by mental health challenges – so no one needs to feel alone.
In any given year across Niagara, one in five people will experience a mental health concern. Last year alone we served nearly 15,000 people who needed our help. Chances are you know, love, or work with one of them.
Working toward mental health recovery is at the heart of our work and our vision is to see a Niagara where mental health is recognized, supported and optimized. Can you imagine a Niagara where:
- Someone decides today is the day they will talk to someone about their depression or anxiety — and they don’t have to wait for an appointment!
- A 9-1-1 call involving mental health concerns provides a mental health worker at the scene to minimize the need for unnecessary emergency department or justice system involvement.
- You or a loved one can be heard, seen, and acknowledged by one who understands “it’s okay to not be okay”, and that along with the challenges, struggles, and fears, we all have strengths, possibilities, and hope
We have all of these services, right here in Niagara. We offer many services and programs, including urgent support counselling, residential safe beds, specialized employment programs, transitional and supportive housing, group counselling, court diversion and support. But our challenge is not one of capability, but capacity. This holiday season, CMHA Niagara needs your help to ensure that services are available and accessible to everyone in Niagara.
CMHA Niagara works daily to promote mental health, recovery and resilience in the community, but we can’t do it alone. You can support CMHA Niagara this holiday season by making a donation. Your gift will help CMHA Niagara assist people experiencing mental health challenges, including their families and caregivers, to access information and support as soon as they need it. Your support matters and your donations help in various ways:
- $25 provides a welcome kit to someone entering our Safe Beds program (t-shirt, sweatpants and toiletries)
- $75 provides nutritious snacks for 10 clients participating in counselling groups
- $100 allows for a one-on-one session with a mental health counsellor
- $300 provides three meals a day for one month to residential crisis clients
During this season of giving, you’ll be making a meaningful gift to many people in our community who will cope with a mental health concern in the coming year. Please donate today: https://niagara.cmha.ca/donate/