CMHA joins the Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention (CASP) in inviting all individuals and communities to find a way to recognize and support World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) on September 10th. It can be as simple as sending a message to those who are in despair, those who are grieving, and those who are supporting someone who is struggling with life’s challenges. By spreading the word that hope, help and healing are possible, we can work together to prevent suicide.
CASP estimates that each day in Canada, 10 people end their life and 200 make a suicide attempt. Suicide occurs across all age, economic, social and ethnic boundaries.
CMHA Niagara provides a continuum of mental health services. This means we assist those with early signs of mild to moderate unwellness, those with more severe impacts and those recovering.Our immediate access services ensure people receive help when they need it and get connected to longer term services as needed. Niagara residents can connect immediately with programs like:
- Immediate Access to Counselling – same-day, no fee, no appointment counselling services.
- Crisis Outreach and Support Team (COAST) – for immediate 24/7 telephone counselling and on-site outreach when needed
- Safebeds – a voluntary, non-medical alternative to hospitalization.
Learn more about all our programs and services here.
Talking about suicide can provide relief and being a listener is the best intervention anyone can give. Here are a few ways you can help:
- Talk all threats or attempts seriously.
- Be aware and learn warning signs of suicide.
- Be direct and ask if the person is thinking of suicide. If the answer is yes, ask if the person has a plan and what the timeline is.
- Be non-judgmental and empathetic.
- Do not minimize the feelings expressed by the person.
- Do not be sworn to secrecy. Seek out the support of appropriate professionals.
- Ask if there is anything you can do.
For more information or to learn more about the suicide prevention or positive mental health, visit CASP or contact CMHA Niagara at (905) 641-5222. If you are in Crisis, call COAST for confidential support 24/7 at 1-866-550-5205.